Category: Takle Eye Group
Losing even part of your vision can be devastating. It’s common for anger, grief, and depression to accompany any loss of sight. However, with determination and persistence you can make the most of your remaining vision and continue to find much happiness and fulfillment in your life. Following these eight tips can go a long way toward refocusing your outlook.
- Take ownership of your condition. Know that much of what must be done to maintain your independence and quality of life must be done by you.
- Learn all you can about your eye condition. The more you understand, the less fear you may experience. Educating yourself helps pinpoint your concerns and assists you in talking to your eye doctor and others about your vision problems.
- Write down questions for your eye doctor before your next visit. Ask a family member or close friend to go with you into the examining room, and feel free to express your questions and concerns.
- Enlist the experts. Along with your team of professionals at Takle Eye Group, there are many agencies and organizations across the country where you can find information on support and rehabilitation services, as well as other resources. Call us for recommendations on where to get started.
- Get devices working for you. Prescription magnifiers, telescopic aids, closed-circuit TV, and other products can help you make the most of your limited vision. Let us know what your specific challenges are, and we’ll do our best to help you meet them successfully.
- Find support in others who are dealing with low vision. Learn how others have coped with their vision loss. They can explain how they learned to do old things in new ways and provide empathy, encouragement, and hope.
- Stay realistic and positive. Unfortunately, some eye conditions can worsen despite the best of care. If your condition means that you could lose more of your vision, prepare yourself for the potential changes and stay positive about the challenges. You may need to develop new skills for daily living. Learn as much as you can about resources and rehabilitation services that are available. It will make adjusting easier if you are prepared ahead of time.
- Stay hopeful about the future. Many exciting advances are continually being made through medical research. A cure may be found in the future for many eye conditions and diseases. But, whatever the future holds, be assured that you are getting the best in knowledgeable and compassionate care with your team of professionals at Takle Eye Group.